Monday 9 November 2015

Promoting local businesses

At Nemesis we always recommend local companies to our clients, this ranges from food produce, supplements, clothing, exercise equipment and independent local gyms.

I tend to sit on the fence now and avoid controversial posts where ever possible especially on social media.  I feel that sometimes other people's responses to these types of posts and your response to the comments can affect your business and your professionalism.

This has been a difficult post to write, and I have deleted it a number of times over the past 4 weeks.  I have a number of clients who are either new to fitness or building up their confidence in the gym.  I have recommended the same independent local Aberdeen gym to all my clients, because I use to be a member there and at the time I was a member I thought the facilities were great, the staff supportive and approachable and the cost very reasonable.  Not only has a number of my clients signed up to this gym, they have also used facilities this gym offers out with their membership.

I was saddened to hear over the past 3 months comments made about my business by employee's who work at that gym and also how they have treated some of my clients because they have chose to use my services in regards to training programmes and nutrition support instead of the services offered by that particular gym.

Given that Aberdeen has seen a number of pay offs with the depreciation of the oil price, and that other industries in Aberdeen are now feeling the knock on effect (taxi drivers, beauticians, hair dressers, bars and restaurants), I am under the impression that a local gym would want to keep clients?  That clients pay their wages and they are in a job because of the members of that gym choosing to use the gym, irrespective if they choose to receive a training programme or nutrition plan from another company?

Surely a gym whose clientele look fit and healthy, attracts further clients = ££ Profit
If another company is recommending clients to sign up to that gym = ££ Profit

Essential qualities for anyone who works in the Fitness Industry in my view is

  • Passion for motivating individuals with a positive outlook.
  • Empathy and compassion to all clients or members of that gym.
  • Approachable
  • Customer Service Excellence
Reputation is everything in this business, and 'slagging' off rival companies, will never do you any favours, it also goes against all the qualities you should possess as a personal trainer / nutrition advisor.   People don't often promote a good service, but they are very quick to be vocal on a badly received service.

In future I will no longer be recommending clients to sign up to that gym, and will be directing them to the gym I use, where irrespective of where you choose to obtain a training programme from, you are welcomed as a member and treated and supported the same way as everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment