Friday 21 August 2015

The Outsider

I know this is a post that a lot of people in the fitness industry can relate to - being made to feel like an outsider when it comes to eating out / social events.

One thing I decided this year was never to make myself a recluse during prep, and to spend as much time as I could with friends and family and in general being a lot more sociable.

I went to nights out where I never drank and had just as much fun as I would have if I was drinking.  At the end of the day not everyone needs alcohol to have a good time - especially if your surrounded with good company.

The same goes for eating out... I don't see how eating out is an issue for people on prep (fair enough maybe not at 6 weeks out or any closer to the competition but staying a recluse during a 20 week prep period I feel is ridiculous).

The only restaurants on prep you can't really dine in are a chipper, indian or chinese restaurant.  I have never had a problem calling a restaurant in advance that I plan to dine at to ask for alterations made to my meal.

  • Chicken Salad removing the dressings
  • Chicken Fajitas - no Sour Cream or Cheese
There is always an option on any menu in any restaurant that can be altered to suit, and if you have tracked for as long as I have, you pretty much know when a chicken comes to the table if it is 100g of cooked chicken! I even found myself complaining and sending a plate back to the kitchen in Chiquito's when they were trying to charge me £16 for a Chicken Skewer where you would be lucky if it was 75g of cooked chicken on that skewer!

The issue with us fitness people is other people!  It seems to bother other people more if we choose not to drink, or make changes to our food.  

A few weeks ago I asked for a chicken dish to be altered (no sauce, and instead of the sweet potato fries to change it out for green vegetables).  The look on some of the peoples face at the table was of pure disgust, as if I had killed someone?!  Why is making changes to a meal to make it healthier a bad thing? I wouldn't dare turn round and mock their choice of a greasy fat ridden burger, and how the whole way through them chomping it they are moaning about their weight gain?! No instead I have respect, I would never put someone down infront of others for choices they have made.  

It's very similar to a post on Facebook which I have seen appear on my newsfeed a lot recently.  Its a picture of Dana Linn Bailey and then on the other half an over weight female.  The wording is along the lines of, calling her fat is deemed as bullying, but its okay to call DLB a man because she has muscle?  

I think people in the fitness industry have to put up with as much bullying as over weight people, and the funny thing is the people who make these comments are the ones who come to us asking for advice to shift the weight.


No comments:

Post a Comment