Wednesday 8 April 2015

Inspirational People & Setting Goals

This week I purchased Michelle Mone's autobiography 'My Fight to the Top' after my friend Laura telling me she managed to read it within 2 hours.  Funnily enough 2 hours later I had also finished it!  An amazing book by an amazing woman.

I always like reading books that make you feel empowered and inspired, and Michelle ticks all the boxes.  I could see a lot of Michelle's traits in myself, and I think if any of my close friends read the book they would think the exact same. 

I always make lists and goals for what I want to achieve.  Some people think I am mad and I am doubted quite a lot over it.  Even if one challenge is stressful, I still see it through and once its's completed I am onto the next one.

I am a planner with high expectations.  I always expect a high standard back from others and I often think sometimes my down side is that I expect too much of some people because I like to think that everyone approaches a situation like I do.

When I look back just over the last few years goals that I set myself, its always been around things I feel passionate about.  For example when I opened my salon, with very little business or experience in the beauty field, people thought I was crazy.  I couldn't just stop at renting a beauty room in a Salon I had to go for the bigger picture and open my own salon.  I also knew when to end the business and on a high instead of waiting for things to crumble when I noticed the recession had effected how much money people spent on luxury items.

When I was promoted at work, and asked to develop core processes and a new way of working, I worked well beyond the hours required, unpaid and again like Michelle was of the opinion that if you put in more you got out so much more - and I did (learning experience) but at the same time I still lost my job due to the climate (just like Michelle did when her employer was bought over).

Its true what they say, its hard for a teenager to decide what they want to be when it comes to choosing 'subjects' at school or 'courses' at Uni.  How can you tell what you want to do at 14 or 16/18? you have hardly had any life experience.  I was 30 when I knew I wanted to spend more time with people who wanted to change there lifestyle and help those who were struggling understanding good nutrition and have 'food demons'.  Just like Michelle when she had her 'calling' which was wearing an uncomfortable bra, mines was 5 months after loosing all my weight.

Since my 'calling', I ran 10k for Aberdeen Fertility Clinic to raise money for them to purchase an Incubator to help improve couples who are unable to conceive naturally become parents (something close to my heart).  When someone say's I can't do something, I always prove them wrong.  Afew people doubted I would even run 10k, and this only made me more determined to succeed.

When I mentioned stage, a lot of people laughed in my face.  They new I was a big class cardio bunny and loved my running, and that I also enjoyed the 'flexible dieting approach'.  Again I proved them wrong, stepping up on stage twice.

My new challenge is to run a 1/2 marathon (again met with some questioning but those close to me know that when someone say's I can't do something I always prove them wrong).  Half marathon booked for October and to raise funds for The Lily Foundation this time.

As I mentioned like Michelle I always like to give myself goals to achieve, sometimes they are short or long term goals.  One of my long term goals is to take on a client who is about to embark on Assisted Reproduction and has been classed as 'unexplained' or suffering with 'PCOS' and help provide good nutritional knowledge and exercise to them.  I feel its something that is completely missed and under estimated how much it can improve your chances when embarking on IVF.  If I had known what I do now I would have approached all my 6 cycles of IVF very different to increase my success rate.  I love Zita Wests approaches to IVF and getting the body in the perfect condition mentally and physically prior to treatment and this is something that shouldn't just be an option for those who can afford private IVF but to every single person who is also undergoing NHS cycles.

If you want to achieve something you feel passionate about don't listen to people who tell you that you can't achieve it, anyone can achieve anything they put their mind to and feel passionate about.  If you want something badly enough you will do anything for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment