Thursday 22 May 2014

Leg Day

Its no secret that Leg Day is my favourite! with Shoulders and Arms coming a close 2nd at the moment! 

I train at David Lloyd's in Aberdeen, and although there is a lot of Leg Equipment compared to smaller gyms it is very basic... 1 Squat Rack, 1 Leg Press, Seated Hamstring Curl & Seated Leg Extension.... you know the e card that state 'Race you to the Squat Rack' well in Lloyd's you don't have to do this.. it is a male Disco Muscle Gym!!!

Don't get me wrong there has been a few instances where the Squat Rack is being used... and when it is, it always ends up being the guy who thinks its acceptable to do 15 sets of 20 reps! I seen this tonight.. but luckily for me I didn't need the Squat Rack for today's leg session!

For anyone who receives a training programme from a trainer who isn't a member of your gym, it can be difficult for them to write a programme not knowing what equipment can be available.  Andy is a member at Warehouse, which has much more Leg equipment, sometimes you have to use your imagination to be able to perform an exercise with limited equipment.  A perfect example on tonight's Leg Programme would be 'Glute Ham Raises'.

My improvisation to get the exercise done.....


At first I just used the Rope set at 10 kilos and locked my legs under the Lateral Pull down rest with a step on the ground to assist to stop me face planting the floor while holding onto the rope to help pull me back up... but I still felt a bit unsafe with a few near misses of a smashed nose..... I then got the smallest gym ball I could find and wedged it between the step and the Lateral Pull Down bench - perfect! I no longer felt unsafe or that I would cause myself injury by possibly not being able to get up!

Sometimes even in the gym you still have to be imaginative to ensure that you fulfil your workout, there is always alternatives as oppose to skipping an exercise due to lack of equipment! NO EXCUSES!

No comments:

Post a Comment