Thursday 21 May 2015

Bodypower 2015

Last weekend I went to Bodypower with my sister Sharon (the other half of Nemesis Personal Training).  This was my first time at the expo, and although I loved it, I can’t help but think I didn’t make the best of the 3 days there.  There was lots of seminars by well established personal trainers, competitors and nutrition experts and on the Saturday we planned 4 back to back seminars, but with the first speaker being late, it caused disruption to all our other planned seminars which was abit gutting.

The highlights for the weekend for me was obviously spending time with my sister, meeting DLB and finding out about her prep etc, and the Pro Figure Show.

I follow DLB on Instagram, fb and You Tube, and I was interested to find out if she lived up to my expectations and if she was down to earth like she comes across on social media.  She succeeded my expectations, not only was she completely genuine but she says it like it is and no mincing her words with a lot of F words thrown in.  It is very clear that fame and success have not changed her.  When she came on stage she said straight off that she does not do seminars and she would rather everyone asked questions and they could ask her anything they wanted.  Her husband Rob Bailey even decided that he would take the mic round.  She was thrown questions about her training, opinions on other professionals and her personal life and there wasn’t one question that she didn’t answer.

She said that although she follows a constructive training programme, eg a set programme of exercises for a 12 week period, she alternates the reps and sets each day / week based on how she feels when she enters the gym that day.  She admitted she is an ego lifter and tries to smash pbs whether weight or rep everytime she is in the gym although it goes against what your meant to do.  She trains for 3 to 6 hours a day and only hits shoulders once a week in a dedicated workout (obviously shoulders are being hit in chest days etc as well as a secondary).  

When quizzed about her diet she rattled off a typical day.  Breakfast is an omelette with waldens low calorie sauce (from the science farm), and every other meal is turkey, vegetables and white rice.  On her off season it is exactly the same with anything naughty thrown in if she craves it.  Rob kept slating her diet but her answer was “I love turkey and vegetables so why can’t I eat it everyday if I love it”.

Another person asked her measurments, and she said she has never taken measurements in the last 8 years so wouldn’t know how wide her quads are, the mirror is her form of measurement (high 5).  Both Rob and Dana admitted that they pay no attention to all the “science”.  They eat and train based on how they feel, and they also threw back the following statement “remember when you didn’t know about nutritional timings, how much you ate or what you should eat? Remember how hard your training sessions were when you were clueless and you trained and trained and got the results”.  It’s a good statement to make as I know I am hung up on food timings, time spent in the gym, recover periods etc… and some days I do feel it has taken over my life, so its great to get other professionals take on it.

As mentioned the Pro Figure show was another highlight for me.  I am 8 weeks out on Saturday and I am starting to get nervous over my condition and the mind games are well and truly starting to kick in.  One of my weakest areas is posing, however this year I have been posing at every opportunity and seeing a real difference with some help from people at the gym.  Seeing the pro girls really motivated me and push me into getting my head down and putting 110% into this last 8 weeks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment