Sunday 6 July 2014

Being responsible for making your own healthy eating choices

One thing I have enjoyed most about my change in lifestyle is having more understanding of nutrition and in doing so I have seen much better results in my performance in the gym, aesthetically and most importantly my wellbeing.

All these ‘Fad Diets’ or ‘Good for you’ / ‘healthy choices’ that supermarkets / restaurants have on offer aren’t always infact the best options – but they pry on people with little understanding of good basic nutrition.  Portion sizes I also feel is a contributing factor to people over or under eating as well.

I work for a big Oil Company in Aberdeen, who have recently had a new office built.  There is no microwaves or kettles on any of the floors, and the only fridges available are there to hold the company milk (which is free).  They have a hot water tap for your tea/coffee. 

The lunches are free and they have your generic ‘Healthy’ corner, along with a Costa Coffee selling a selection of the usual patisseries etc and the standard delivery of cakes / pies or bacon rolls if someone leaves, an achievement made or just for the sake of it because its Friday.  

Having a microwave and kettle in the kitchen area’s is deemed as a waste of space / there isn’t enough space… however if I was to take a picture of the space that is available I would like to see their argument for not having enough room for one!!!

The issue…

I now have to live off cold food whilst at work due to lack of facilities to accommodate my diet.  I contacted the Office Services and Catering Manager who informed me ‘I understand this may be an inconvenience for me but even the kitchen in the restaurant doesn’t have one’.

·         I can’t have my oats, because there is no microwave to heat them up in.. I refuse to have this pour in hot water oats because its powdered milk! And I can’t have that because it tastes bokes, and its processed rubbish.
·         I can’t store my almond milk in the communal fridges which is for the business milk, so no tea or coffee for me.
·         I can’t heat up any of my meals, so cold rice, chicken, cous cous on a daily basis it is for me.
·         My diet is now very limited Monday to Friday as realistically I can’t stomach cold red meat or fish!

I love how Oil Companies preach good wellbeing, healthy options but in fact they aren’t… I have witnessed many a time the generic female with a lack of good nutrition knowledge hitting the salad / chicken bar… piling up on salad heavily oiled up with god knows what.. and over piling her plate with far too much chicken.. taking us back to portion control and not knowing what is actually in our food!  I remember once looking at the macros on a McDonalds Salad, you might as well have ordered a Happy Meal! 

It would be interesting to see if I said my food issues was down to religion if a microwave and kettle would be installed? … Just a thought!

In this day and age we should all be able to make our own food choices and not be dictated to, its like being back at school!


No comments:

Post a Comment