Wednesday 1 October 2014

First Group Yoga Session

Carrying on from my last post regarding improving my flexibility and core strength during my off season I decided to attend a group yoga beginners class.

I have done many yoga DVDs in the past, done my own practice and also 1-2-1 sessions, however this evening was the best yoga experience I have ever had.

Although yoga is a very mind, body, spirit movement, as a beginner I feel it's imperative that you connect with your instructor when starting out.  I defiantly clicked with Jenny this evening.  Jenny was calm, inspiring  and patient qualities all Yoga Instructors possess However Jenny was by far the best Yoga Instructor who I had that explained everything clearly and well!!!

I could never transition between the poses correctly and focused too much on my breathing or keeping up with the instructor.  However Jenny explained to focus on the movement first and breathing second while practicing the pose and then one you understand the pose move in and out of the pose in line with your breathing - if this means your going in and out of the poses faster than those around you so be it.

By the end of the class I felt really relaxed and Jenny said that I transitioned really well and she could tell I was very in tune with my body, breathing and positioning. 

To be honest prior to going to the class I was considering not going because I always get told how unflexible, no rythem or how un co ordinated I am! - other people's opinions questing my own ability!

I am so glad I went as I proved myself wrong!!! I can transition between the poses connecting to the breath and this is down to me being in tune with my own body!

The great thing about Yoga is flexibility comes in time and through regular practice.  Although I get more enjoyment from pilates in a challenge perspective and it will improve my core stability, i do feel yoga will aid me to relax and unwind on my rest days. 


No comments:

Post a Comment