Thursday 16 October 2014

SOME OF YALL GO HARD IN THE GYM BUT NEVER CHANGE? - BUT THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS

This past 12 months I have given myself a lot  of self praise regarding how I approach a situation that angers me or where I have a difference in opinion.

In the past I would respond and retaliate instantly and defensively (the Aries in me).  I hated this attribute, and decided that when a situation angered me instead of voicing my opinion, I would open up my notes ap in my phone type out my anger and frustration.  Then an hour later or when I had calmed down I would revisit what I had written and review it.  This then involved me rephrasing what I had written, and also understanding different perspectives or opinions and in some cases adopting a 'Sitting on the fence approach'.

It has taken me almost 24 hours to write this blog post.  I have deleted paragraphs, rephrased them, deleted them again, re typed it... so here it is... if it offends anyone or the person in question then I apologise (but they offended me first by correcting me and commenting on a technique they have never used themselves which is narrow minded?).   

A few weeks back a member at the gym I train at came over to me (during a set may I add) and asked why my squat stance was wide. [Insert Angry face here!!!].


  1. Naturally I squat wide, because I can get lower, and my form is a lot better.
  2. I have had a knee injury in the past and subsequently when I squat narrow my knee injury flares ups.
This same person then approached myself and my training partner the other day,  this time correcting her form on her squat, even though he wasn't training with us?  Later on he then questioned a training method we were doing on Leg Extension deeming it as pointless and that we were 'hogging' the machine.

So Gym Etiquette....


Should you correct someone on form? and do you know them well enough to correct or interpret how they may respond?  

For example the guy in question above, if I knew him, he would have had my fist in his face or a very cheeky response!!!  The fact I didn't know him and he questioned me over my form offended and angered me, more so that he put me on the spot to justify why I squatted that way.  Once I responded and he had walked away I began to over analyse what had just happened and get myself even more angrier.

  1. I know my form is correct, and there is a reason to why I am squatting wide so why should I have to justify this to someone.
  2. This person deems his training so valuable that he's written it on a scrap piece of paper.  Where as he just questioned someone whose training is extremely structured and important to them -  I am also training with a goal in mind.
  3. This person trains in the same manner day in day out,  his training methods have never change. However my body has changed progressively since being a member there.  I have adopted many training systems being open minded to figure out what works and doesn't work for my body over 12 week periods!  I train consistently, with structured programmes and most importantly I have the results and keep getting the results I train and strive for. 

Do you even know who your questioning?

Nothing more embarrassing than correcting someones form or questioning their training methods when that person is a qualified individual or an athlete in that field?


Ever considered that your form or training routine is rubbish?

Yes there is a possibility that although your questioning others on their forms and training methods, that the person you questioned may also think that your training programme is utter shit - but then again I don't know what your training for so therefore I wouldn't comment and end of day it's none of my business and I would never dream of going over to you and questioning you on it.

Although I always have a bit of banter with some of the guys at the gym I go to, stating that they only train disco muscles, they know its banter!  never the less some of these guys who do train only upper body the majority train sensibly with structured workouts and the gains are noticeable! Once again I couldn't care what they do! Each to their own! Am more interesting in myself and reaching my own goals! 

I don't go to the gym to correct others on their form and make them feel inadequate, I also don't know if they have any underlying injuries.  They may be beginners, confidence building, finding out what works for them! - everyone has to start somewhere after all! and we were all beginners once.


If I felt the need to approach?

If there was a situation where I felt I needed to intervene and correct someone,  I would be incredibly diplomatic about it, where they can respond if they want the advice or not first before giving them it.  

Example

'Do you mind if I give you a pointer to tweak that exercise, its just you might find you will get an injury doing it that way, as I discovered in the past'.  


You definitely need good interpretation skills to approach an individual you do not know.  A person will either appreciate or not appreciate being corrected.

The tone of your voice and how you go about speaking to that person is also a huge influence on the response you may get back from that person, you might not get the response you expect.

When I was approached about my squat the way that person approached me I felt was belittling my technique and then when with my training partner dissing the technique I felt was also undermining me? 

I appreciate feedback and correction from qualified, experienced individuals or people who have the physique I want.

If any of the PT's at my gym or people who have the look am trying to achieve came and corrected me or gave me  pointers it would be welcomed and appreciated.


Questioning Training Methods?

If you disagree with someones training method that's fine we are all entitled to our opinions!  

I don't agree with crossfit but some of my friends have great results from it! But I would never belittle them for using a system they enjoy doing and have results from?

I do not want to hear someone's opinion on my training practices when I am after a completely different end product to what their trying to achieve!  

My biggest pet hate is people with an opinion who have never tried that approach, this goes with any subject in life not just a training system.

The moral of this story is I have a game face in the gym for a reason... to get in the gym, smash my workout, rest , repair and repeat! 












No comments:

Post a Comment