Thursday 9 October 2014

What do you do to look the way you do?!

This picture came up on my Instagram feed this morning, and I instantly re posted it on my own page.




At the gym, a lot of females come up to me in the changing room and ask what I do to look the way I do, I know these girls are regular gym users, so my response is always greeted by funny looks – ‘What is your eating habits like?’

Nutrition plays a huge role in getting the results you strive for…. it doesn’t matter how many hours you do in the gym, the amount of cardio classes you do, or the 100 ab crunches you do at the end of each workout – if your still shovelling rubbish down your mouth or have no understanding of portion control or good nutrition then the results you want will never be accomplished.

‘So what do I have to change’ is the response I get back.

Truth is it’s a lifestyle change, but simple changes can make a huge difference, and good nutritional habits don’t happen overnight! Their built upon daily / weekly / monthly and yearly.  Nobody can wake up and suddenly know everything there is to know on good eating practices, it is learnt in time.

5 small and simple changes that can be applied instantly...

1.     Eat

There is a huge mis conception that if you cut your calorie intake you will lose weight, eating too few calories ultimately makes weight loss slower by slowing your metabolism as your body goes into ‘protection mode’ against the possibility of starvation.

Living off 1200  calories per day is unsustainable over a long period of time, but is fine as an interim short term solution to reach a specific weight loss goal (if the 1200 calories consumed is by means of good nutritious food sources), however most people on a calorie controlled diet will  plateau around week 3 to 4 weeks, bin the diet, hit the convenience foods / alcohol and pile on the pounds that they shed!

Although there is no evidence to back up claims that 6 smaller meals increases metabolic function compared to 3 large meals per day, I do think for anyone losing weight that you should opt for the 6 smaller meals approach.  We all know the typical traits of being on a ‘diet’ your mind automatically tells you your hungry all the time!  Its defiantly mind over matter!!

2.     Drink 3.5 Litres of Water per day

Water composes 75% of your muscle tissue, dehydration leads to weakness, fatigue and dizziness and shall greatly affect the performance and recovery of a workout, it also assists the bodies transport system to transport nutrients around the body!

Water can assist with weight loss! I drink 300ml of water before every meal I have to make me feel fuller!

There is so much benefits to drinking water I could fill my blog with it!  When I changed to drinking water all day I noticed changes in my skin glow, and I didn’t get blemishes as often either!  My horrendous migraines I use to get in the past no longer exist and I strongly believe this is down to drinking water and good nutrition!!!!

3.     Remove convenience foods

The great thing about convenience or fast foods is that your food can be ready in a matter of minutes… but as far as I am concerned that is the only positive. 

I prepare all my foods on a Sunday while watching X Factor, it takes me 1 – 2 hours and I can usually make around 14 meals which I then freeze!  I defrost the meal I plan to eat the next day the night before slowly in the fridge, couple of minutes in the micro and meal served!   At least I know what’s been added to my food, how it’s been cooked and prepared.

There is a huge mis conception that healthy food is too expensive, but this simply isn’t true.  I can spent £50 a week and make 6 meals per day for 2 weeks!... I am going to go as far as proving this claim in another blog I am currently working on!!!

Convenience and fast foods lack nutritional value and the ingredients and preservatives may in fact damage your health!  There is so much proven studies with cancer patients where there life expectancy with terminal cancer was extended purely down to nutritional changes in their diet. 



4.     Reduce Alcohol

Removing alcohol from your diet will speed up weight loss, however its not always realistic for someone to cut it out completely, and that there is the social element as well.

Be Alcohol Smart,…

·         If you’re not finished your drink when someone is ready for the next round, say no you have a drink.
·         Opt for Diet Soda’s as a mixer to spirits.
·         Avoid drinks like beer, cocktails and alcopops
·         Be AWARE that alcohol encourages you to consume foods you might normally never eat when sober!


5.     Cut out Sweets / Cakes / Biscuits & Crisps

Reducing sugar will also speed up weight loss!  Chocolate, cakes and sweets are low in fibre and lack nutritional value! 

When I cut out sugar from my diet in the first initial 12 weeks of my weight loss plan afew years ago, the immediate effects I saw was the reduction of cellulite from my buttocks and thigh area! I have the pictures to prove it!!! 

Sweets / Cakes / Biscuits / Crisps etc are meant to be classed as a ‘TREAT’, yet many people consume these on a daily basis!  When I consume a biscuit, it makes me want more!!! There is plenty of people out there that can’t control sugar urges!

You don’t have to quit these items, but by opting for healthier options or smaller quantities can be a way of curbing and reducing your cravings… when you start reducing sugar, the craving for sugar does subside.  In time I have found myself baking chocolate peanut butter protein cakes and finding these much more satisfying than chomping on a chocolate chip muffin!

No comments:

Post a Comment