Saturday 1 November 2014

Good Nutrition V Fertility Issues

The more I read up on nutrition either via the courses I have been doing, internet research or seminars, the more aware I am how important good nutrition is.

One area which is close to my heart is fertility issues.  Having being diagnosed with unexplained infertility in my early 20s, followed by 6 rounds of unsuccessful IVF, it astounds me how blasé the NHS is to nutrition to this area.

In my whole time at the fertility clinic not once was nutrition mentioned, just the usual make sure your healthy, a good weight and your taking your folic acid.

I started my first round of IVF in my early 20s and looking back I was very naive what the whole process involved.  If I knew what I know now I would have approached each IVF treatment a lot different.  It wasn't until my last 2 rounds of IVF that I became more aware on the contributing factors thanks to my friend Laurie.  I started researching alternative treatments and therapies along with reading the numerous books written by Zita West.

The Zita West clinics preach good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle re the key to all aspects of reproductive planning.  As mentioned above the NHS mention very little regarding nutrition to their IVF patients.  If your undergoing IVF it is critical that your body is in the best state it can be to produce healthy sperm and eggs and for your body to carry and for your babies growth and development inside the womb, and to ensure that your body is not depleted in vital nutrients.

I truly believe that it takes at least 18 months to get your body in a fit state for fertility treatment, and IVF is such an intrusive treatment with low success rates that it is imperative that you do all you can to increase the success rate.

Although I was diagnosed with unexplained fertility I was not subjected to much tests from the NHS!  They have a limited amount of tests that they are willing to test any couple for!  (Funding issues more likely).  The best advice I can give is visiting a Zita West clinic where they will use a broader range of tests in the hope of finding what the issue is.   As mentioned a lot of times with un explained fertility it is as simple as a nutritional deficiency (which is not tested for).  They also encourage couples to embark on nutritional education and meet with their nutritional and lifestyle advisor, where diet plans can be provided.

The rate of fertility issues is on the rise along with the number of couples turning to IVF, although these statistics are questionable because they include women who are delaying family due to career reasons, I do still strongly believe that nutrition and lifestyle form a massive percentage in the statistics.

A friend of mine with pcos and endometriosis, took inspiration from myself to have a lifestyle overhaul.  She battled weight issues, excessive hair, eratic menstrual cycles, raging hormones and she was extremely unhappy.  She changed her nutrition habits, small changes at first which then increased.  She cut out convenience  and fast food straight away and couldn't believe the changes in her body within a fairly short period of time.  I remember her saying that her periods were starting to become more regular and not as heavy, although they were still around 2-3 months apart she could pretty much name the date the would start again in the next quarter.  She said she felt more alert and once the scale reading started changing she felt more confident and started embarking on power walks which now has lead to running!

She looks amazing! and its like a completely different person! 2 years later she's pregnant - naturally, and she swears its down to nutrition and a healthy lifestyle (she was trying to conceive for 8 years previously). 

www.zitawest.com

I also highly recommend anyone with fertility issues looking into alternative treatments as well to get your mind and body balance corrected to speak to Karen Summers, she is a lovely woman and I connected with her instantly when I started seeing her for reiki, CBT and reflexology.

www.rosemountcentre.com/therapists/karen-summers/





No comments:

Post a Comment